Monday, April 27, 2009

Letter to my Imposter

Ok so one of my things to do last week was to write a note to my imposter (Very similar to the pathological critic) for my next book club meeting. I finally wrote my letter and thought I would post it here for future reference. The point was to write a letter embracing and introducing your imposter to Jesus Christ, as Brennan Manning did in the book "Abba's Child."

Hello My Imposter,

Acknowledging you is easy, listening to you easier still, however talking to you is hard. Very Hard. I'm beginning to see for myself your destructiveness in my life. I hate the people pleasing, acceptance seeking person that you have made me to become. I am sure that at times you were helpful, even necessary for my survival, but I believe that time has long since passed.

Now you are not helpful as you envelop me in fears. Fears of what others think, fears that I'm not accepted, fears of failure, fears of success, fears of being inadequate, fears of drawing attention, and fears of being ignored. You terrorize my mind with thoughts of rejection, that people can't love me and accept me for ME. Until those very fears become fulfilled.

But guess what I've survived. You are losing your precious hold on me. I've hated you for a long time (thus hating myself), even planned ways to kill you off. Then I'm reminded that you are out to kill me and steal my chances at happiness.

I've decided it's time I fight back, not passively as before, but actively. From now on you don't get a voice, you must die. I'm taking you and your lies to Jesus. I don't pretend that it will be easy, nor that you will ever completely go away. But you will be controlled.....your power is slipping away already with the power of His Word.

Yes, I realize that you are a part of me, but that part shall soon be mastered as I learn anew Who I am in Jesus Christ, and I give him power over you.

My Better Self,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...