Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Socially Anxious pretending normal

So taking a slightly different spin on things, today I want to discuss the struggles of a person with social anxiety to feel comfortable in bible study group when there is underlying tension running rampant. Everyone knows that the socially anxious are never at their best in group situations. I was at bible study the other day and our group is getting larger and in the process of a splitting into smaller groups. Well that has most everyone uncomfortable and uneasy with the process and no one is really comfortable. I went there the other night and ate dinner talking to a few friends, but then when we got into a circle to do the bible study I was so miserable because I could feel the tension so badly that I couldn't get comfortable, I couldn't focus on the teaching. I ended up having to get up and leave in the middle of things.

Then got in the car and was sooooo worried about what everyone would think that I had to fight myself to see if I was going to be offending anyone by leaving and what would be said, then I finally was able to take off and drive home, concerned all the way about what I had done and wishing I would have stayed even though I was miserable because I know that people sometimes judge others based on the behaviors that they don't understand. Sometimes its really hard to be socially anxious and trying to pretend to be normal.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...